Caldecott Medal Winner 1980 • Reading Rainbow book.
Ox-Cart Man is a simple and rhythmic story of a man who fills his ox-cart with all the goods his family has produced over the last year and takes them to market. After selling everything, including his cart and his ox, he buys a few items and walks home. The book traces a year in the life of a New England farm family in the 1800's. The values of hard work, patience, family, and contentment are woven throughout the story.
Progeny Press' English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student(s) with:
Historical Background: Learn about the early American colonies and the New Hampshire Turnpike and about the daily life of an early American farmer.
Author & Illustrator Biography: Learn about Donald Hall and Barbara Cooney, their lives, and their other works.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Synonyms.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Work as if for God, be industrious not lazy, doing things when the time is right, good advice from parents, planning ahead.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, seasons, farm products and crafting, storytelling, monthly jobs, weather journaling, wordsearch, cooking, art, weaving.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on Elementary student eyes
- Every question in our novel study has plenty of whitespace for Primary grade student’s answers and handwriting capabilities
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!