Miss Rumphius is the life story of Miss Alice Rumphius, otherwise known as the Lupine Lady, as told by her young niece and namesake, Alice. When she was young, Miss Rumphius set two goals for herself: she would follow in her grandfather's footsteps and travel to faraway places, and then she would settle down in a house by the sea. Her grandfather tells her there is one more thing she must do. She must do something to make the world more beautiful. As an adult, Alice does travel the world and live in a house by the sea, but she does not know how she can make the world more beautiful. Then, an unexpected discovery gives her a wonderful idea.
Progeny Press' English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student(s) with:
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Plurals, illustrations, in context.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Setting goals, planning, God is in control, honor parents and grandparents, hospitality, stewardship of our world.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Plants and seeds, garden, map, heritage, painting, geography, gifts, cooking, art projects, travel, field trip, service project.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on Elementary student eyes
- Every question in our novel study has plenty of whitespace for Primary grade student’s answers and handwriting capabilities
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!