Bears on Hemlock Mountain, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of The Bears on Hemlock Mountain Study Guide! Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
Get the book Bears on Hemlock Mountain HERE Other Titles by Alice Dalgliesh: The Courage of Sarah Noble
Newbery Honor Award 1953.
Jonathan is sure there are no bears on Hemlock Mountain. When he is given the task of going over the mountain to his aunt's house to borrow a large pot for his mother, he reassures himself over and over: "There... are... no... bears... on... Hemlock... Mountain... no... bears... no... bears... at... all." Once at his aunt's house Jonathan dawdles, enjoying cookies and a nap. When he wakes up he realizes that it is very late, and now he must go back over Hemlock Mountain - in the dark! Despite his repeating over and over to himself that there are no bears, suddenly he meets some. Thinking quickly Jonathan puts the large iron pot upside down in the snow and hides under it. Jonathan learns a hair-raising lesson in being responsible for your own actions.
Through Alice Dalgliesh's amusing account of a boy's harrowing trip over Hemlock Mountain, students will learn:
Historical Background: Pennsylvania folktales.
Author Biography: Learn about Alice Dalgliesh, her background in the British West Indies, and her writing awards.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Phrases, repetition, foreshadowing, dictionary usage, imagery, similes, metaphors.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Hospitality, sharing, observation, fear, God is with us, dependability, truth, the Lord is our shepherd, consequences, sin, forgiveness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mountains, animal tracks, birdsong, hospitality bulletin board, make cookies, Mystery Word activity, creative writing adventure, cookbook, bears, drama/theater.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key file included for the teacher!
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Colonial New England, USA
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Rebecca Gilleland
- for the book by:
- Alice Dalgliesh
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 34 pages