ALA Notable Children’s Book • Booklist Books for Youth Editors’ Choice
A New Coat for Anna is the story of a young girl and her mother, living in the aftermath of World War II. The war is over, but the stores are still empty, there is very little food, and no one has any money. Anna has outgrown the winter coat she has worn for years, so her mother comes up with a plan to get her a new one. With patience, hard work, and sacrifice, Anna and her mother, over the course of a year, are able to finally get Anna a new coat.
Author Harriet Ziefert based A New Coat for Anna on the true story of Ingeborg Schraft Hoffman, M.D., whose mother, Hanna Schraft, began with a few belongings and ended by providing her daughter with a beautiful, new coat.
Progeny Press' English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student(s) with:
Historical Background: WWII and its aftermath.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Dictionary work, character, paraphrase.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Vanity vs. pride, God's provision, patience, character qualities.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Maps, WWII, movie, field trip, timeline, Mystery Word activity page, cooking, writing, crafts, wordsearch.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to A New Coat for Anna by Harriet Ziefert.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on Elementary student eyes
- Every question in our novel study has plenty of whitespace for Primary grade student’s answers and handwriting capabilities
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!