HarperCollins I Can Read level 3
When Faith's family packs their covered wagon for the long journey to California, there is no room for Faith's pet hen, Josefina. She is too old to lay eggs and too tough to eat; but Faith's father allows her to bring Josefina on the trip, provided that Josefina makes no trouble. Josefina surprises everyone when she lays eggs, and becomes their watchdog. Faith carefully records each happening in a quilt block for remembering. When they reach California, the quilt is finished, and Faith will never forget her Josefina.
Progeny Press' English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student(s) with:
The Author: Learn about Eleanor Coerr.
Background: Learn about the Westward Expansion.
Before-You-Read Activities: Maps, research oxen, music, quilts, packing wagons.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Action words, verbs, metaphors.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Obey and honor parents, adversity, friendship, prayer, remembrances, hardship, do not be anxious, God is with us.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Crossword, bake bread, art, quilting.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Josefina Story Quilt
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on Elementary student eyes
- Every question in our novel study has plenty of whitespace for Primary grade student’s answers and handwriting capabilities
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!