Long Way Westward, The - Study GuideProgeny Press
HarperCollins I Can Read level 3.
America is full of surprises. The streets are not paved with gold!
In this sequel to The Long Way to a New Land, Carl Erik and his family travel west on train after train to La Crosse, Wisconsin. From there, they travel by steamboat to Anoka, Minnesota, where their uncle lives and Papa has work. All the travel, the dangers, the crowds, and the cold are forgotten the moment they arrive. They're finally home!
Through Joan Sandin's touching story of Swedish immigrants, students will learn:
Before-You-Read Activities: Mapping USA train route west, travel mapping, ancestry and immigration bulletin board or poster, American flag project, research westward expansion.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Word pictures, idioms, alphabetizing, compound words, punctuation, roots and suffixes.
Moral Lessons and Character Values, such as, we are all part of one body and each part/one of us is important, appreciating our differences, equality, loving your neighbor, hospitality to strangers.
Activities and Writing Assignments including wordsearch, climate geography, Mystery Word activity, cities and states, learn some Swedish, cost comparison, cooking center, creative art idiom poster, Home Sweet Home art project.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, A Long Way Westward!
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the Study Guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key file included for the teacher!