Old Man and The Sea, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
1953 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, cited by the Nobel Committee as contributing to their awarding of the Nobel Prize in Literature to Hemingway in 1954. #173 on the Big Read List (UK's top 200).
Through Ernest Hemingway's story of struggle, defeat, and personal triumph, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about Ernest Hemingway and the fascinating history behind the author and novel.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In-context, characterization, plot, exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, conflict, foreshadowing, symbol, personification, parallel character, synonym, stream of consciousness, descriptive language, themes, dynamic vs. static characters, Christ-like figure, hero, protagonist, tragic hero, anti-hero,
Moral Lessons and Character Values: true faith, pride & humility, work of our hands all for God, work hard to succeed, vows and God, prayer, encouragement, God’s love and faithfulness, hope, resolve, motives, attitude, sin, outer hurt cannot touch us inside, blame, partnership, bad things can happen to good people.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapwork, research WWI Lost Generation, deep-sea fishing, courage discussion, author writing style, research Jo DiMaggio, essay about future dreams/plans, sea creatures and birds, write using stream of consciousness, creative art or painting, poems, difficult situation essay, narrative style, advice list, Christian imagery and allusions, discouragement vs. encouragement, optimism vs. pessimism, achievement and loss.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books and movies that tie in with, or are similar to, Old Man and the Sea.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Learn More about the Book
Read the story summary of Old Man and the Sea and get the book HERE.
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Cuba, mid-1900's
- American Literature
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Calvin Roso
- For the Book By:
- Ernest Hemingway
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 57 pages