Day No Pigs Would Die, A - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
Through Robert Newton Peck’s funny but moving tale of coming-of-age on a farm in Vermont, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn more about Robert Newton Peck.
Background Information: Learn about who Shakers really were and are.
Before-You-Read Activities: Learn about Vermont geography and production, Shakers, research paper about 1930s agriculture, pig breed research, as-you-read topic “to be a man”, birth and death themes.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: include in context, dialect expressions, diagramming, foreshadowing, mood, contrast, grammar, characterization, author’s tone, comic scenes, conflict, theme.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: helping/caring for animals, rewards, value of a man, material possessions, true riches, confession, adultery, judging others, pride, fairness, death, wealth, love and forgiveness, coming-of-age.
Activities and Writing Assignments: including units of measure, capstan research, following Shaker beliefs, linking of birth and death.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, A Day No Pigs Would Die.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Learn More about the Book
Read the story summary of A Day No Pigs Would Die and get the book HERE. Note: Mild Language and mild mature content
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Vermont, USA, 1920's
- American Literature
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Andrew Clausen
- For the Book By:
- Robert Newton Peck
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 48 pages