In contrast to the quiet, peaceful lives of the Baxters, their nearest neighbors, the Forresters, are loud, argumentative, and prone to being troublemakers. Jody finds their zest for life and their free and easy ways appealing. But relations between the Baxters and the Forresters are strained when Penny and Jody intervene in a fight between Lem Forrester and a friend of the family.
When the Baxters' hogs go missing, Penny and Jody venture into the scrub to search for them, suspecting that the Forresters are responsible. On the hunt Penny is bitten by a rattlesnake and nearly dies. While he is recovering from the snake bite, Penny allows Jody to take in a motherless fawn and raise it as a pet. Jody names the fawn Flag, and the deer becomes Jody's constant companion.
When reality strikes, and the family finds themselves facing hunger because of the deer, Jody must make decisions that will take him through the passage from boyhood to manhood.
Progeny Press' The Yearling English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your High School grade student with:
English/Language Arts credit: This is a one-quarter credit high school level Literature curriculum.
Background Information: Learn more about Florida in the late 1800s, tourism, and the rapid economic growth as agriculture booms.
Author Biography: Information about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Setting, dialect, characterization, mood, personification, antonym, synonym, simile, metaphor, in context, comparison, foreshadowing, tone, theme, conflict, title, coming-of-age.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Family, natural law, time alone, time in nature, controlling your tongue, good & wise behavior, loyalty and friendship, fear, sorrow, fighting, reconciliation & forgiveness, revenge, prodigal son, putting childish ways behind, growing up.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, history of Florida research, geography, hurricanes, bears, muzzle-loading rifles, research sink holes or whooping cranes, write a poem.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more plays by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Yearling. Movie suggestions included.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on tired teenage high school student's eyes
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for high school level student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your High School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refines their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!