Red Badge of Courage, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
Through Stephen Crane’s up close and raw look at the effects of real war, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about Stephen Crane.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: words create setting, double meanings, parallels, synonyms, antonyms, foil, similes, characterization, in context, metaphors, self-justification, role models, natural law, Christ figure, coming-of-age.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: The church and war, Jesus is our example, lessons from nature, small before God, coming-of-age, fear & cowardice, mortality, courage, maturity, anger, heroism, suffering and the refining it causes.
Activities and Writing Assignments: wordsearch, God looks at our inner character/not outer, Essays including a just war, Lincoln and the Civil War, nature as a counterpoint to humanity, coming-of-age, Civil War timeline, creative writing: letters from a soldier, biography of your choice of famous Civil War men and women, write a historical play/scene, field trip to a Civil War site, journalism interview of a war veteran.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Red Badge of Courage. Movie suggestions included.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Learn More about the Book
Read the story summary for Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane and get the book HERE.
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Virginia, 1863, American Civil War
- American Literature, Historical Literature
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Gregory Power
- For the Book By:
- Stephen Crane
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 58 pages