Red Badge of Courage, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
Through Stephen Crane’s enduring classic about the nightmare of war, students will learn:
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: characterization, in context, similes, metaphors, self-justification, role models, natural law, Christ figure, parallel, synonyms, antonyms, foil, coming-of-age,
Moral Lessons and Character Values: fear & cowardice, mortality, courage, maturity, anger, heroism, suffering and the refining it causes.
Activities and Writing Assignments including wordsearch, speech about what makes a ‘just’ war, explorative essay about the Gettysburg Address, essay on coming-of-age, essay on nature and war, create a Civil War timeline, creative writing Civil War letters home, read biographies, write a short historical play, field trip to battlefields, journalism interview of a war veteran.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Red Badge of Courage. Movie suggestions included.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Opens in the FREE Adobe Reader program
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key file included for the teacher!
Read the story summary and get the book HERE.
Choose your format and buy it now:
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Virginia, 1863, American Civil War
- American Literature, Historical Literature
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Gregory Power
- For the Book By:
- Stephen Crane
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 58 pages