An American Literature Classic! Part of the classic Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper.
It is the year 1757 and the French-Indian Wars are in full swing. An escalating cycle of events begins when British Major Heyward decides to escort the General's daughters through the woods, following an Indian scout. Betrayed by this scout to the Hurons and French, they are saved by two Mohicans and a white scout named Hawkeye.
Thus begins a cycle of war, danger, flight, revenge, loss, and eventually an ultimate sacrifice that will change their lives forever.
Progeny Press' Last of the Mohicans English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your High School grade student with:
English/Language Arts credit: This in-depth high school level Literature curriculum offers a one-quarter credit.
Historical Background: Unravel the rich tapestry of the French and Indian War as you explore the backdrop of Last of the Mohicans.
Author Biography: Obtain insight into the life and works of James Fenimore Cooper, providing valuable context to The Last of the Mohicans.
Before-You-Read Activities: Conduct essay writing, mapping exercises, timeline exploration, artistic expressions, and creative writing exercises to compliment your studies.
Vocabulary: Enhance your understanding of the novel by actively learning and retaining words through a range of engaging activities designed to stimulate and engage.
Literary Techniques: Discover and analyze literary techniques employed in Last of the Mohicans, including synonym, foil, anthropomorphism, personification, irony, epigraph, double negative, in context, maxim, comic relief, simile, rising action, foreshadowing, characterization, allusion, flashback, mood, false climax, metaphor, dynamic, static, antonym, compare vs. contrast, juxtaposition, dichotomous, willing suspension of disbelief, soliloquy, cliffhanger, contrivance, structure, protagonist, conflict, point of view, theme, tone, framework, and poetic justice.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Delve into the deep moral lessons and character values explored in the novel, including truth, talents, hospitality, love, service, our hearts, friendship, patience, revenge, responsibility, control, judgement, respect elders, we are all created equal, forgiveness, sacrifice, and salvation.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Engage in a range of interactive activities and thought-provoking writing assignments, such as explorations of war and combat, compelling biographies, stimulating class discussions, the use of descriptive language, and multiple essay choices.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by James Fenimore Cooper and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Last of the Mohicans. Movie suggestions included.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on tired teenage high school student's eyes
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for high school level student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your High School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refines their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!