HarperCollins I Can Read level 3.
In 1868, Sweden is devastated by drought and Carl Erik's family is starving. Hope reaches them when a letter from their uncle in America arrives, inviting them to "the land of opportunity." They decide to sell the farm and go to America to make a new life. The packing, the goodbyes, and the trip itself are difficult; yet the children eagerly wonder when they might get wheat bread with butter in America. Finally allowed into the country after passing through immigration, Carl Erik exclaims, "Now we are arrived."
Continue the series: The Long Way Westward
Progeny Press' English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student with:
Before-You-Read Activities: Ancestry, family tree, country flags, geography and map work, research on steamships, and learning about immigration.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Cause and effect, synonyms, action words/verbs, descriptive language.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: such as helping those in need, preparation, importance of God's word, Bible study, God meeting our needs, answer to prayer.
Activities and Writing Assignments: including packing a trunk, historical transportation, crossword puzzle, past and present, life on board a ship, word search, illustration study, writing letters, cooking center.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, A Long Way to a New Land!
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA Study Guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on Elementary student eyes
- Every question in our novel study has plenty of whitespace for Primary grade student’s answers and handwriting capabilities
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!