Drinking Gourd, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of The Drinking Gourd Study Guide! Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately! Get the book The Drinking Gourd HERE
HarperCollins I Can Read level 3.
When Deacon Fuller sends his son, Tommy, home early from church for misbehaving he goes to the barn to visit the horses. There he discovers a family of runaway slaves hiding in the hay. Having escaped from a plantation in South Carolina, they are following the drinking gourd, a constellation in the northern sky that points the way to freedom in Canada. Tommy learns what freedom is worth as he helps his father protect the family from discovery and waits to see if his father will come home safely
Through F.N. Monjo's exciting story of the Underground Railroad, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about F.N. Monjo, and his historical fiction for children.
Historical Background: Slavery and the Underground Railroad.
Before-You-Read Activities: read-a-loud, folk songs, astronomy, maps, fugitives.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, dictionary usage, illustration analysis.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Leadership and character, behavior, consequences, truth, justice, Golden Rule, do good to others.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Hidden Message activity, creative writing, star gazing, crafts.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Drinking Gourd by F.N. Monjo.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key file included for the teacher!
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- 1700-1800s South Eastern USA
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide author:
- Colleen Schreurs
- for the book by:
- F. N. Monjo
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 33 pages