The Long Way to a New Land E-GuideProgeny Press
HarperCollins I Can Read level 3.
In 1868, Sweden is devastated by drought and Carl Erik's family is starving. Hope reaches them when a letter from their uncle in America arrives, inviting them to "the land of opportunity." They decide to sell the farm and go to America to make a new life. The packing, the goodbyes, and the trip itself are difficult; yet the children eagerly wonder when they might get wheat bread with butter in America. Finally allowed into the country after passing through immigration, Carl Erik exclaims, "Now we are arrived."
Through Joan Sandin's touching story of Swedish immigrants, students will learn:
Before-You-Read Activities: Ancestry, family tree, country flags, geography and map work, research on steamships, and learning about immigration.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Cause and effect, synonyms, action words/verbs, descriptive language.
Moral Lessons and Character Values, such as helping those in need, preparation, importance of God's word, Bible study, God meeting our needs, answer to prayer.
Activities and Writing Assignments including packing a trunk, historical transportation, crossword puzzle, past and present, life on board a ship, word search, illustration study, writing letters, and a cooking center.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, A Long Way to a New Land!
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the Study Guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!