Yearling, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of The Yearling Study Guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
Pulitzer Prize Winner 1939, Lewis Carroll Shelf Award, Main selection of the Book of the Month Club in April 1938. It was the best-selling novel in America in 1938, selling over a quarter of a million copies. It has been translated into Spanish, Chinese, French, Japanese, German, Italian, Russian and 22 other languages.
Through Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Pulitzer Prize winning tale, students will learn:
Background Information: Learn more about Florida in the late 1800s, tourism, and the rapid economic growth as agriculture booms.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Setting, dialect, characterization, mood, personification, antonym, synonym, simile, metaphor, in context, comparison, foreshadowing, tone, theme, conflict, title, coming-of-age.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Family, natural law, time alone, time in nature, controlling your tongue, good & wise behavior, loyalty and friendship, fear, sorrow, fighting, reconciliation & forgiveness, revenge, prodigal son, putting childish ways behind, growing up.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, history of Florida research, geography, hurricanes, bears, muzzle-loading rifles, research sink holes or whooping cranes, write a poem.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more plays by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Yearling. Movie suggestions included.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Read the story summary of The Yearling and get the book HERE.
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Florida, late 1800's
- American Literature
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Andrew Clausen
- For the Book By:
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 65 pages