Mr. Utterson, the lawyer, is perplexed and disturbed. His close friend of many years, the well-respected Dr. Henry Jekyll, has fallen into the company of one Edward Hyde—a man who, by all accounts, is cruel, unfeeling, and seemingly pure evil.
Fearing for his friend's life, Utterson tries to persuade Jekyll to rid himself of his new companion. Although Jekyll swears he can and will, Utterson continues to hear reports of the doctor's closeness to Hyde. The horrible crimes of the evil Mr. Hyde scandalize the community, and then when he murders a Member of Parliament, Utterson decides the situation is critical. Jekyll's relationship with Hyde must be stopped!
Utterson, however, does not realize the full extent of that relationship, and the desperate lengths to which Jekyll must go to sever it. A short novel examining the dangers of a man trying to release, control, and rid himself his own dark nature.
A short book and excellent choice for freshman (and up) students who want a challenging story.
Progeny Press' Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your High School grade student with:
English/Language Arts credit: This is a one-quarter credit high school level Literature curriculum.
About the Author: Learn about Robert Louis Stevenson.
Background Information: Calvinist theology.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Grammar, idiom, allusion, point of view, mood, compare/contrast, synonym, flashback, dictionary, narrator, hubris, irony, imagery.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Reputation, friendship, judgement, control our tongues, mercy, justice, evil, pity, sinful nature, temptation, true freedom, legalism/permissiveness, pride.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, Victorian England, human nature, art, poem, Gothic, scientific progress, music, money, crossword, multimedia project, drama, adaptations.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on tired teenage high school student's eyes
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for high school level student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your High School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refines their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!