Hound of the Baskervilles - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
#128 on the Big Read List (UK’s top 200).
Through Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s gripping Sherlock Holmes' mystery, students will learn:
Background Information: Gothic Fiction.
Author Biography: Learn more about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Before-You-Read Activities: geographical terms, video documentaries on moors, Dartmoor historical research, folk legends, dog breed research.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: characterization, alliteration, consonance, assonance, repetition, narrator, facts & probabilities, imagery, allusion, tongue-in-cheek humor, in context, mood, liminality, similes, metaphors, verbs, epistolary fiction, anthropomorphism, fact vs. opinion, foreshadowing, synonym, antonym, irony, poetic justice, pathetic fallacy, hubris, protagonist, conflict, theme.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Qualities to admire, misfortune and suffering, spiritual battle, deceit, darkness & light, judging others, Pharisees, responsibility for one’s own actions, care for prisoners, doing good, love.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Geography and Dartmoor, Devon, England, legends, dog breeds, phrenology, mapping, memory games, Discussion about self-confidence, design & typesetting, British peerage system, Biblical perseverance study, Detective dime novels, South African gold, history research paper, architectural 3-D project, Science photographic butterfly collection, epistolary fiction, journaling, creative writing, multiple class discussion topics, wordsearch, 19th century women’s professions, painters, phosphorus, abuse, field trip, community resources and volunteer opportunities.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Movie suggestions included.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Learn More about the Book
Read the story summary of Hound of the Baskervilles and get the book HERE.
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- England 1880's
- British Literature, Mystery
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Michael S. Gilleland and Mike Poteet
- For the Book By:
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 83 pages