A classic tragedy full of ambition and betrayal, superstition and murder.
After meeting three witches who prophesy that he will one day become king, Macbeth sets off a chain of chaos throughout Scotland when impatience drives him to kill his friend, kinsman, and king. Now king himself, Macbeth struggles to prevent the rest of the witches' predictions from coming to pass as his authority begins to crumble and his wife slowly descends into madness.
The fires of rebellion ignite throughout the land, and even the seemingly favorable predictions the witches gave him come to have a double edge.
Find all of Progeny Press' Shakespeare titles
Progeny Press' Macbeth English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your High School grade student with:
English/Language Arts credit: This is a one-quarter credit high school level Literature curriculum.
Author Biography: Learn about William Shakespeare and the fascinating history behind the author and play.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Tone, irony, contrast, character study, aside, foreshadowing, pacing, soliloquy, comic relief, foil, paraphrase, pathetic fallacy, personification, understatement, hyperbole, anaphora, synonym, parallel characters, mistreatment, endurance, metaphor, compare & contrast, extended metaphor, protagonist, tragic hero, antihero.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: King David vs. Macbeth, wise advisors, biblical manliness, true forgiveness of sin, repentance vs. regret, revenge, love your enemies, do not judge others, obeying leaders and questioning or disobeying leaders, boasting and pride is punished, death, anyone can be redeemed by true belief in Christ Jesus.
Activities and Writing Assignments: 1Samuel comparison, report on King James I, map work, world leader history & greed for power, Machiavelli’s The Prince, Scottish Highlands and castles, As-you-read notebook, Essays: temptation or King James I of England, watercolor or drawing art project, perform scene, scrambled quotations, journal entry, eulogy, poem, class discussion/paper about prophecy, discussion of third murder, discuss ghost, write dialogue, creative art activity.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books and movies that tie in with, or are similar to, Macbeth by William Shakespeare.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on tired teenage high school student's eyes
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for high school level student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your High School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refines their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!