Out of the Silent Planet - Study GuideProgeny Press
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
- Buy 5 or above and get 10% off
The first book in C.S. Lewis' celebrated Space Trilogy.
While on a walking tour through England, Dr. Elwin Ransom becomes an unwilling guest at the home of Dr. Weston, a physicist. Weston and his colleague Dr. Devine kidnap Ransom and take him to the planet Malacandra. Ransom believes that he is meant to be handed over to the inhabitants of Malacandra as a human sacrifice.
Escaping but alone on an alien world, Ransom discovers that he has no survival skills that apply to his surroundings. Barely able to tell the difference between animals and plants or plants and rocks, he is unsure what to trust as safe—even his sanity begins to dissolve. Driven by curiosity, he establishes contact with what appears to be a friendly seal-like animal. The creature gives him food and drink and takes him to its village.
Ransom settles into a peaceful life with these beings, the hrossa, and slowly finds his ideas about life, religion, divine providence, and humanity stretched to new horizons.
Through C. S. Lewis’ Out of the Silent Planet, the first book in his celebrated Space Trilogy, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about C.S. Lewis.
Theme Analysis for the Novel
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Theme, Compare and contrast, characterization, irony.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Valuing others above yourself, humility, contentment, freedom of choice, God meets our needs, we are all important as different parts of the body of Christ, decision making, power and control, freewill, parables.
Activities and Writing Assignments including research paper on Mars, comparative paper on Fascism, research paper on space travel, analysis paper on racism.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Out of the Silent Planet.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Another Planet, Science Fiction
- British Literature, Christian Analogy, Science Fiction
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Andrew Clausen
- For the Book By:
- C.S. Lewis
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 42 pages