Number the Stars - Study GuideProgeny Press
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
- Buy 5 or above and get 10% off
Check out this other title by this award-winning author: The Giver
Newbery Medal winner 1990, Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children’s Book Award, Nation Jewish Book Award for Children’s Literature.
Annemarie Johansen and her friend Ellen Rosen remember a time before the war, before the Nazis occupied Denmark. But Denmark has surrendered to Germany, and now German soldiers are seen on every street corner in Copenhagen. Although Annemarie and Ellen are frightened by the soldiers, Annemarie does not worry. She knows that there is a resistance movement fighting the Nazis, but Annemarie is an ordinary girl; she does not expect that she and her family will be called upon to face the same danger as the resistance. Soon the Johansens receive word that the Nazis are planning to arrest the Jews of Denmark.
The Johansens decided they must do what they can to help their Jewish friends, the Rosens, Ellen's family. The Johansens take in Ellen and pass her off as one of their own children while a family friend agrees to hide Ellen's parents. Annemarie is still convinced that everyone will be safe, but she begins to see the seriousness of the situation when German soldiers come to their apartment late at night looking for the Rosens.
Will they be able to smuggle their friends out of the country to Sweden right under the noses of the Nazis?
Through Lois Lowry's fascinating story of WWII, students will learn:
About the Author: Learn about Lois Lowry.
Background Information: WWII Europe.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Denotative, connotative, characterization, personification, synonym, antonym, symbolism.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Protect and help, lying, healing, God cares for us, bravery, love your neighbor as yourself.
Activities and Writing Assignments: WWII, war. Jewish Religion, mapping, movie, discussions, news reports, writing, inventions, symbols of faith, Bible study, Judaism and Christianity, hidden message.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Denmark, WWII
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Lisa Leep
- For the Book By:
- Lois Lowry
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 54 pages
My first order was delivered wetÉ They immediately sent another copy with no problem. Very much appreciated!