New York Times Best-selling author!
I wedged my fists on my hips and I announced that Maggie was yesterday, and from this day forward I would answer only to Ford Falcon.
People live either UnderBubble or OutBubble - in the protected cities or in the wilderness without electricity, gasoline, or any other modern convenience. Ford Falcon's family lives OutBubble in a slapdash shelter on Skullduggery Ridge near Goldmine Gulley, an old trash heap where they scavenge for lumber and supplies. A partnership of government and corporations have genetically modified URCorn, a miracle food that makes people stronger and healthier. That is, if you can eat it. And the Grey Devils, strange creatures, human mostly, will do anything for URCorn. Anything. . .
Add in solar bears and weird weather that cannot decide if it is summer or winter and you can bet life is not easy. But there is something much more mysterious going on, and Ford Falcon thinks it has something to do with her father. When she returns from a bartering trip to find her home ransacked and her family gone, Ford must find her own way and prove that she can face the world's hardships alone and overcome whatever obstacles stand in the way of rescuing her loved ones!
"Michael Perry pulls out all the stops in this colorful tale." -Katherine Applegate, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Newberry Medal winner The One and Only Ivan
"This brave, smart, funny, independent young hero is totally unlike anyone I've ever seen before." -Wendy Mass, New York Times bestselling author of The Candymakers
"Gifted and gritty, Ford Falcon is a heroine with heart." -Leslie Connor, author of Waiting for Normal
Progeny Press English/Language Arts curriculum provides your Middle School grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Michael Perry.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Alliteration, consonance, repetition, synonym, homonym, foreshadow, proverbs, denotative, connotative, antonym, assonance, flashback, onomatopoeia, in context, dictionary, cliffhanger, comic relief, tone, coming-of-age, point of view, utopia, theme, conflict.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Honor parents, neighbors, courage, mercy, nostalgia, work, preparation, comfort, loneliness, priorities, emotions, self-control, talents, truth.
Activities and Writing Assignments: GMO's, field trip, survival skills, cooking, greenhouses, scouting, aquaponics, art, armor, crossword, Morse Code, addictions, games, discrimination, racism, farming, science, dystopia, poetry.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Scavengers by Michael Perry.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on Middle School student's eyes
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for middle school level student answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the middle school student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Middle School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refine their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!