Click here for a sample section of the Sarah Plain and Tall Study Guide! Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately! Get the book Sarah, Plain and Tall HERE
Newbery Medal Winner 1986, Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction, Golden Kite Award, NY Public Library Book of the Century.
Answering an ad in the paper for a wife, Sarah agrees to come visit for one month before agreeing to marry Papa, writing "I will come by train. I will wear a yellow bonnet. I am plain and tall," and "Tell them I sing."
But Sarah misses her old home in Maine. Will she leave, or will she stay and bring song and laughter to their prairie home?
Through Patricia MacLachlan's quiet pioneer tale, students will learn:
About the Author: Learn about Patricia MacLachlan.
Background Information: Pioneers and prairie living.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Synonyms, setting, compare and contrast, in context, simile, metaphor, paraphrase, character analysis.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Honor, God is our perfecter, work with a good attitude, love one another.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapwork, history reports, discussion, read aloud, wordsearch, crossword, prairies, step-families, art projects, science, movie, cooking.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!