Answering an ad in the paper for a wife, Sarah agrees to come visit for one month before agreeing to marry Papa, writing back and forth with Papa's children, Anna and Caleb, telling them that they will know her because "I will come by train. I will wear a yellow bonnet. I am plain and tall," and "Tell them I sing."
But Sarah misses her old home in Maine and the children worry. Will she leave, or will she stay and bring song and laughter to their prairie home?
Progeny Press' Sarah, Plain and Tall English/Language Arts curriculum provides your Elementary School Primary grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Patricia MacLachlan.
Background Information: Pioneers and prairie living.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Synonyms, setting, compare and contrast, in context, simile, metaphor, paraphrase, character analysis.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Honor, God is our perfecter, work with a good attitude, love one another.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapwork, history reports, discussion, read aloud, wordsearch, crossword, prairies, step-families, art projects, science, movie, cooking.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy for Elementary students
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for primary school level student answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the Elementary school student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Upper Elementary grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that build and strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and establishes their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!