My Side of the Mountain - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version coming soon!
Through Jean Craighead George’s classic about wilderness survival and coming-of-age students will learn:
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Point of view, verbs, anthropomorphism, irony, flashback, in context, adjectives, similes, recap, paraphrase, fact vs. opinion, onomatopoeia, comic relief, mood, metaphors, allusion, alphabetical order, idioms, oxymorons, alliteration, assonance, consonance, extended metaphors, willing suspension of disbelief, conflict, quest, dramatic structure, full-circle ending, coming of age, bildungsroman, compare & contrast.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Understanding God, being alone, superstitions, fear & worry, patience, provision, acceptance, hospitality, bullying, God’s care, honoring parents, lying, daily life.
Activities and Writing Assignments: field trips, plant research, creative writing, safety discussion, letter writing, math connections, superstitions, legends, poster project, cooking centers, research writing, drama projects, journal writing, rock climbing, wooden toys, science connections, crossword puzzle, Christmas wreath project, peregrine falcons, health & nutrition, maple syrup, parody, essay choices, power point project, art & design, class party, journalism newspaper.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more plays by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, My Side of the Mountain.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Opens in the FREE Adobe Reader program
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key file included for the teacher!
Read the story summary and get the book HERE.
Choose your format and buy it now:
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Catskill Mountains, New York, USA, 1950's
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Carol Clark
- for the book by:
- Jean Craighead George
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 72 pages