Hobbit, The - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
#25 on the Big Read List (UK's top 200). The classic prequel to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series.
Through J.R.R. Tolkien's tale of fantasy, hobbits, adventure, loyalty, and courage, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about J.R.R. Tolkien and the fascinating history behind the author and novel.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Characterization, compare and contrast, call to adventure, riddles, epithet, metaphor, simile, proverbs, anthropomorphism, hero’s descent into darkness, true experience, imagery, setting, heroic quest, antonyms, synonyms, parallelism, historical present (tense verbs), paraphrase, irony.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Unlikely people doing God’s will, good works to do, resisting God’s call, people in exile, Psalms, greed, separation, armor of God, mercy and pity, Christ’s help, never alone, path of wisdom, responsibility, luck, scapegoats, warfare, popularity, generosity, pity, love others, selfishness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapwork, nature of Middle-Earth, instruments & music, character sketches, character creation, setting description, Essays: author’s verbal rhythm, quest analysis, humility & self-confidence, Bilbo, choice and morality, desire and greed, Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, art illustration, diorama, drama/acting, write a sequel.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books and movies that tie in with, or are similar to, The Hobbit.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Learn More about the Book
Read the story summary of The Hobbit and get the book HERE. Check out the sequels: Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King.
Looking for an unabridged audiobook of The Hobbit? Click HERE.
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Imaginative, Middle-Earth
- British Literature, Fantasy
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Michael Poteet
- For the Book By:
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 69 pages