Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
#1 on the Big Read List (UK's top 200). The second book in Tolkien's classic Lord of the Rings series.
Through J.R.R. Tolkien's tale of fantasy, hobbits, adventure, danger, loyalty, and courage, students will learn:
Author Biography: Learn about J.R.R. Tolkien and the fascinating history behind the author and novel.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: character analysis, analogy, paradox, Christ-figure, literary motif, irony, homonyms, descriptive writing, similes, metaphors, mixed metaphor, imagery, foreshadowing, protagonist, antagonist.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: choices, good and ill, regret, stewards of nature, guard our speech, falsehood, demonizing the enemy/opponent, doing wrong and self-justification, swearing oaths, fatalism, hope, trust and distrust, focus on God, do not boast, temptation, perseverance, following Christ, forgiveness, mercy, pity.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Read/review prequels, Tolkien glossary, topographical terms, prequel foreshadowing, music, church history, eulogy, funeral rites, rumors, historical analysis, author viewpoint, conservation, trees, art, name study, perspective project, mythical creatures, diorama, will-o’-the-wisps, Augustine & just war, herb gardening, Holy Days, martyrs, Essays: foiling, tone, mood, morality of Middle-earth, deliberate choice, dichotomies, mythology, communion, biblical accuracy, providence of God, anthropomorphism, compare & contrast, dramatization, character sketch, film analysis, Sam.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books and movies that tie in with, or are similar to, The Two Towers
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
Learn More about the Book
Read the story summary of The Two Towers and get the book HERE.
Check out the prequels: The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring, and the sequel: Return of the King.
Looking for an unabridged audiobook of The Two Towers? Click HERE.
- Usually ships within 24-72 hours
- Recommended Grade Level:
- Imaginitive, Middle Earth
- British Literature, Fantasy
- Workbook ISBN:
- CD ISBN:
- Study Guide Author:
- Michael Poteet
- For the Book By:
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Study Guide Page Count:
- 106 pages