An unprecedented best seller in its time, Uncle Tom's Cabin has also been controversial from the start.
Primarily the story of Tom, a godly slave who improves all around him, much like Joseph of the Bible. But when Tom is sold to Simon Legree, he meets true evil. Legree treats slaves as animals and plans to make Tom overseer because of his strength and intelligence, but when Tom refuses to whip a fellow slave, and then refuses to turn in two runaways, Legree slowly beats Tom to death.
The son of Tom's first owner comes to redeem Tom but finds him dying. In honor of Tom, he frees his family's slaves and educates them. Stowe reveals the horrors occurring under slavery and the damage done to society as a whole when its weakest members are preyed upon. She also shows that Christians can, and must, make a real difference in the world!
Progeny Press' Uncle Tom's Cabin English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your High School grade student with:
English/Language Arts credit: This is a one-quarter credit high school level Literature curriculum.
Historical Background: In depth look at the history of slavery.
Author Biography: Learn about Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Before-You-Read Activities: History, essays, map, movie.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, dictionary, figure of speech, irony, allusion, synonym, diction, metaphor, root words, characterization, antonym, juxtaposition, point of view, aside, anthropomorphism, imagery, alliteration, parody, foreshadow, transpose, rhythm, anaphora, mood, paradox, parallel, willing suspension of disbelief, dramatic structure, Christ-figure, theme.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Conscience, heaven, love and pray for our enemies, suffering, authority, Bible study, slavery, no distinctions in Christ, all created equal, stress, comfort, prejudice, fairness, work, rationalization, noblesse oblige, belief vs. unbelief, hope, racism.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Art project, hymns, Latin, class discussions, role of strong women, author analysis, essays and research paper options.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on tired teenage high school student's eyes
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for high school level student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our PDF Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Reader program. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA PDF guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher!
Formatted with your High School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refines their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!