Pattie and her family are on the last ship to leave a dying Earth, and after a four-year journey they reach their new home on a distant planet. Unsure what dangers they may face, the colonists emerge to find hard, unfamiliar plants in a still, silent, but beautiful world. They build homes and begin farming as their supplies dwindle, desperately hoping their crops will grow and be edible in this strange, new world. Young Pattie and the other children explore their new home discovering the wonders of dewfall, moth people, and tree candy as the adults struggle. Pattie's little green book—dark green silky boards covered with gold tooling and filled with empty sheets—becomes her record of their journey and their new life.
Progeny Press' The Green Book English/Language Arts curriculum provides your Elementary School Primary grade student with:
Author Biography: Learn about Jill Paton Walsh.
Before-You-Read Activities: Read other pioneering books, travel plans, memory photos, make a journal.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In-context, similes, idioms, metaphor, mood, synonyms, imagery, foreshadowing, repetition, alliteration, juxtaposition, conflict, theme, circular narrative.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: making plans, working with friends, teamwork, work, rules, personal value, do not worry, trust in God, God’s providence, courage, hospitality, suicide and murder, despair vs. hope, sharing
Activities and Writing Assignments including planning forum, computer research, gravity, science and wind, rain cycle, jellyfish, oil lamps, marine aquariums, science video recommendations, fairytales, boredom ideas, tree candy, hopscotch, cooking grain, pancakes, Venn diagramming, wordsearch, mystery word message, crossword, crystal gardens, maple syrup, gardening, spin thread, fire opals, creative writing journal, creative writing sequel, poetry performance, persuasive paper, flatbread and muffins.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more plays by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Green Book.
All of Progeny Press' Languag Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy for Elementary students
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for primary school level student answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the Elementary school student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Upper Elementary grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that build and strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and establishes their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!