A mouse, a cat, and a cricket take a bite out of the Big Apple! Tucker is a streetwise city mouse. He thought he'd seen it all. But he's never met a cricket before, which really isn't surprising, because along with his friend Harry Cat, Tucker lives in the very heart of New York City - the Times Square subway station. Chester Cricket never intended to leave his Connecticut meadow. He'd be there still if he hadn't followed the enticing aroma of liverwurst right into someone's picnic basket. Now, like any tourist int he city, he wants to look around.
He could not have found two better guides - and friends - than Tucker and Harry! But Chester has a hidden talent and no one, not even Chester himself, realized that the little country cricket may just be able to teach even the toughest New Yorkers a thing or two.
A book filled with grand fun and enchanting illustrations by Garth Williams.
Progeny Press' Cricket in Times Square English/Language Arts curriculum provides your Elementary School Primary grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about George Selden
Background Information: Crickets in China.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Adverbs, setting, descriptive writing, dialect, foreshadowing, in context, fact vs. opinion, similes, metaphors, theme, character traits.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: God is with us, friendship, truth, responsibility, money, giving, forgiveness, happiness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Crickets, New York City, Chinatown, mapping, writing assignments, science, legends, talents, music, art, cooking, chopsticks.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Cricket in Times Square by George Selden.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy for Elementary students
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for primary school level student answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the Elementary school student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Upper Elementary grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that build and strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and establishes their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!