When the prince is a brat and you aren't supposed to punish him because he is 'royalty,' what is a king to do? Call the whipping boy; he takes the whippings the prince's guardians aren't allowed to give to 'Prince Brat.'
This high-paced story begins with the prince making trouble - again. Jemmy, the whipping boy, is called for and receives the prince's punishment - again. This becomes the pattern for every day: the prince refuses to learn his school lessons and Jemmy gets punished. The prince pulls a prank, and Jemmy gets punished. Jemmy decides, however, that as long as he is there he might as well learn proper manners and how to read and write, even if the prince won't. Then, one fateful night, the prince decides to run away and needs someone to carry his basket. Jemmy is drafted, and a grand chase begins that will change both of them forever!
Progeny Press' The Whipping Boy English/Language Arts curriculum provides your Elementary School Primary grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Sid Fleischman.
Background Information: Whipping boys and historical background.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, dictionary, mood, synonyms, adjectives, point of view, compare vs. contrast, character study, theme, setting.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Trust God, happiness, relationship with God, do unto others, honor parents, foolishness vs. wisdom, friendship, judge appearances, faithfulness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Castles, writing, bulletin board, rats, discussion, cooking, art, Venn diagram, movie, drama, wordsearch.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy for Elementary students
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for primary school level student answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the Elementary school student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Upper Elementary grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that build and strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and establishes their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!