The Great Depression was a difficult time for most Americans, and the difficulty was magnified if you were black and lived in the South. Although many of the black families around Strawberry, Mississippi are sharecroppers, the Logan family owns the land they work. Their independence allows them to help other families in need, but also draws unwanted attention from their white neighbors. In 1933 Mississippi, racist "night men" terrorize the Logans and their neighbors with acts of violence against black families. Young Cassie Logan must learn how to respond to the prejudice and injustice she experiences as she comes to realize the importance of the land to her family.
Progeny Press Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Language Arts curriculum will provide your Middle School grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Mildred D. Taylor.
Background Information: Civil rights.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, characterization, setting, irony, foreshadow, synonym, plot, conflict, symbolism, allusion, flashback, mood, imagery, poetic justice, theme, novel of education, point of view.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Friendship, revenge, injustice, slavery, employee, equality, forgiveness, suffering, perseverance, prayer, wise choices.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, research, music, writing, journal.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor.
All of Progeny Press' language arts PDF download unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Middle School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refine their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!