Annemarie Johansen and her friend Ellen Rosen remember a time before the war, before the Nazis occupied Denmark. But Denmark has surrendered to Germany, and now German soldiers are seen on every street corner in Copenhagen. Although Annemarie and Ellen are frightened by the soldiers, Annemarie does not worry. She knows that there is a resistance movement fighting the Nazis, but Annemarie is an ordinary girl; she does not expect that she and her family will be called upon to face the same danger as the resistance. Soon the Johansens receive word that the Nazis are planning to arrest the Jews of Denmark.
The Johansens decided they must do what they can to help their Jewish friends, the Rosens, Ellen's family. The Johansens take in Ellen and pass her off as one of their own children while a family friend agrees to hide Ellen's parents. Annemarie is still convinced that everyone will be safe, but she begins to see the seriousness of the situation when German soldiers come to their apartment late at night looking for the Rosens. Will they be able to smuggle their friends out of the country to Sweden right under the noses of the Nazis?
Progeny Press' Number the Stars Language Arts PDF curriculum will provide your Middle School grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Lois Lowry.
Background Information: WWII Europe.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Denotative, connotative, characterization, personification, synonym, antonym, symbolism.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Protect and help, lying, healing, God cares for us, bravery, love your neighbor as yourself.
Activities and Writing Assignments: WWII, war. Jewish Religion, mapping, movie, discussions, news reports, writing, inventions, symbols of faith, Bible study, Judaism and Christianity, hidden message.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.
All of Progeny Press' language arts PDF download unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Middle School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refine their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!