The boy had always been called "Asta's son," but when Asta, his mother, dies, the village priest reveals that his Christian name is Crispin. The priest also gives Crispin his mother's lead cross and promises to reveal what the words etched on its surface mean. But before he can tell Crispin, the priest is murdered and Crispin accused of the crime.
Believing the cross holds clues to his father's identity, Crispin flees, eventually joining up with a traveling juggler named Bear.
Full of surprises, thrills, treachery, contentment, and a hearty dose of what life was actually like in the 14th century, Crispin is also a story of faith, developing maturity, and learning what freedom and manhood really mean.
Progeny Press' Crispin: Cross of Lead Language Arts PDF curriculum provides your Middle School grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Avi.
Background Information: Medieval timekeeping, feudalism.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Paradox, mood, simile, metaphor, in context, alliteration, foreshadow, platitude, synonym, turning point, hyperbole, cliffhanger, personification, domino effect, epiphany, conflict, story structure, theme, protagonist, dynamic vs. static, contrivance, motif, point of view.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Life and death, judgement, eternal life, God is with us, joy, worry, prayer, responsibility, heavenly Father, faith, honor.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Historical fiction, Middle Ages, cook, art, heritage, St. Giles, sanctuary, St. Crispin, juggling, life skills, freedom of religion, writing, history, music, mural.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi.
All of Progeny Press' language arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Middle School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refine their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!