Uncle Jed's Barbershop - E-GuideProgeny Press
Coretta Scott King Honor Book 1994, ALA Notable Children's Books, Horn Book Fanfare, CBC/NCSS Notable Children's Book in Social Studies, ILA Children's Book Award Honor, Reading Rainbow book
Now an award-winning musical! Check out some of the songs with your student just for fun!! https://tinyurl.com/wxcfrv9
Uncle Jedediah is Sarah Jean's favorite relative. He visits once a week to cut her daddy's and granddaddy's hair, and pretends to cut Sarah's hair, putting good smelling lotion on the back of her neck. Uncle Jed has a dream that he shares with Sarah - Uncle Jed wants to open his own barbershop. Living in the South in the 1930s, this dream is regarded as impossible by his friends and relatives. Poor sharecroppers don't open their own businesses. Despite setbacks - from little Sarah's sickness, which only an expensive operation can cure, to the banks failing in the Great Depression just when he'd saved enough money - Uncle Jed never gives up.
His admirable character and hard work to achieve his dream can inspire all of us to dream a dream - and then to work for it.
Through Margaree King Mitchell's inspiring story of hard work and perseverance, students will learn:
Author and Illustrator Biographies: Learn about Margaree King Mitchell and her works. Learn about James E. Ransome and his art.
Historical Background: The Great Depression.
Before-You-Read Activities: Sharecropping, barbershops, mapping.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, character traits, critical thinking, information analysis (money).
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Money, God is with us, hard work, perseverance, joy, dreams, God's plans are good, equality, fairness, mystery word activity.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Cost comparisons, quilting, art, bookmark, dogs, horses, creative storytelling, heritage/interview, service project.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Uncle Jed's Barbershop by Margaree King Mitchell.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!