Uncle Jedediah is Sarah Jean's favorite relative. He visits once a week to cut her daddy's and granddaddy's hair, and pretends to cut Sarah's hair, putting good smelling lotion on the back of her neck. Uncle Jed has a dream that he shares with Sarah - Uncle Jed wants to open his own barbershop. Living in the South in the 1930s, this dream is regarded as impossible by his friends and relatives. Poor sharecroppers don't open their own businesses. Despite setbacks - from little Sarah's sickness, which only an expensive operation can cure, to the banks failing in the Great Depression just when he'd saved enough money - Uncle Jed never gives up. His admirable character and hard work to achieve his dream can inspire all of us to dream a dream - and then to work for it.
Additional Resource: Check out some of the songs from the award-winning musical adaptation, JED
Progeny Press' Uncle Jed's Barbershop English/Language Arts PDF curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student(s) with:
Author and Illustrator Biographies: Learn about Margaree King Mitchell and her works. Learn about James E. Ransome and his art.
Historical Background: The Great Depression.
Before-You-Read Activities: Sharecropping, barbershops, mapping.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, character traits, critical thinking, information analysis (money).
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Money, God is with us, hard work, perseverance, joy, dreams, God's plans are good, equality, fairness, mystery word activity.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Cost comparisons, quilting, art, bookmark, dogs, horses, creative storytelling, heritage/interview, service project.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Uncle Jed's Barbershop by Margaree King Mitchell.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts PDF download unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!