Willy and his grandfather live on a farm in Wyoming where they grow potatoes. One day Grandfather will not get out of bed or even speak. Willy runs to get Doc Smith, who examines Grandfather and can find nothing wrong with him. She tells Willy that Grandfather has just given up on life.
When Willy goes to town, he sees a poster advertising the National Dogsled Races. The prize for winning the race is $500! With the state of Wyoming threatening to take the farm for back-taxes, Willy decides to enter the race, convinced he and his dog, Searchlight, can win. But an Indian named Stone Fox also enters the race, and he's never lost. Can Willy and Searchlight beat Stone Fox and save the farm - and Grandfather - before it's too late?
Progeny Press' Stone Fox Language Arts PDF download curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about John Reynold's Gardiner.
Background Information: Jackson, Wyoming and Shoshone Indian Reservation
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Synonyms, antonyms, fact vs. opinion, characterization, similes, metaphors, proverbs, repetition, point of view, cause and effect, story structure, conflict, theme, foil, setting.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Comfort, honor your parents, advice, risk, turn the other cheek, racism, compassion.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, calculations, wordsearch, puzzle, essay idea, research paper, dogs. Wyoming, multi-media news, Iditarod and dog sledding, potatoes, sign language, service project, depression.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Stone Fox by John Reynold Gardiner.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts PDF download unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Primary grade Upper Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and continue building and refining their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study PDF download accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!
What others have to say about Progeny Press ELA study guides: