While walking near his home, Marty Preston finds a frightened beagle pup. Convinced that his neighbor, Judd Travers, has been abusing the dog, the 11-year-old refuses to return the runaway to its owner. Marty names the dog Shiloh and hopes to keep him hidden from both his family and Judd Travers. Marty struggles with his conscience as he tells lies to keep Shiloh a secret. When Shiloh is seriously injured and requires medical attention, Marty's secret is revealed. Although he is sorry for the trouble he has caused, Marty is not deterred from saving Shiloh. He strikes a bargain with Judd Travers, determined to keep the dog from being abused further.
He will face some difficult choices as he learns about honesty, far-reaching consequences, his family, and himself.
Progeny Press' Shiloh Language Arts PDF curriculum will provide your Middle School grade student with:
About the Author: Read about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, the creative mind behind the heartwarming tale.
Background Information: Learn about hunting dogs, their training, lives, and gain additional context for the story.
Vocabulary: Complete dynamic and practical exercises that make learning words an enjoyable experience.
Literary Techniques: Study literary techniques such as in-context usage, dictionary exploration, point of view, setting, conflict, complications, climax, resolution, theme, and similes.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Discuss honesty, integrity, the consequences of doing wrong and justifying it, the impact of swearing, the pursuit of justice, respecting authority, and the quest for peace.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Participate in a variety of activities, from mapping key locations to advocating for animal rights, exploring the significance of names, delving into the unique aspects of West Virginia, contemplating the role of dogs in our lives, engaging in discussions on moral dilemmas, and challenging yourself with crossword puzzles.
Suggestions for Further Reading: Extend your literary journey with a curated reading list featuring more works by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor and other books that complement or are similar to, Shiloh.
All of Progeny Press' language arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Middle School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refine their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!