Miss Rumphius - E-GuideProgeny Press
National Book Award 1983, National Education Assoc. Teacher’s Top 100, School Library Journal Top 100 picture books. 1989 Lupine Award Maine Library Assoc., Caldecott winning author/illustrator, United States Author Nominee for the Hans Christian Andersen Medal, New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year
Miss Rumphius is the life story of Miss Alice Rumphius, otherwise known as the Lupine Lady, as told by her young niece and namesake, Alice. When she was young, Miss Rumphius set two goals for herself: she would follow in her grandfather's footsteps and travel to faraway places, and then she would settle down in a house by the sea. Her grandfather tells her there is one more thing she must do. She must do something to make the world more beautiful. As an adult, Alice does travel the world and live in a house by the sea, but she does not know how she can make the world more beautiful. Then, an unexpected discovery gives her a wonderful idea.
Through Barbara Cooney's tender story of travel, beauty, and flowers, students will learn:
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Plurals, illustrations, in context.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Setting goals, planning, God is in control, honor parents and grandparents, hospitality, stewardship of our world.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Plants and seeds, garden, map, heritage, painting, geography, gifts, cooking, art projects, travel, field trip, service project.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!