In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson - E-GuideProgeny Press
An ALA Notable Book, School Library Journal Best Book, Parents' Choice Silver Honor, Notable Children's Book-Social Studies, Jefferson Cup Award, Library of Congress Children's Book.
In the year 1947, Shirley Temple Wong and her mother receive a letter from her father. He asks them to come and join him in New York City where he has been working and preparing a home for them. New York is a long way from Chungking, China, but Shirley is excited that her family will be together again at last. Shirley has difficulty adjusting to life in a new country, with its new customs and languages. But then summer comes, bringing the miracle of baseball. Suddenly Shirley is playing stickball and following superstar Jackie Robinson as he leads the Brooklyn Dodgers to victory after victory. Jackie Robinson proves that in America, the grandson of a slave can make a difference and be a hero! And for Shirley as well, the land of America becomes the land of opportunity.
Poignant, touching, and often hilariously funny!
Through Bette Bao Lord's unforgettable book, students will learn:
About the Author: Learn about Bette Bao Lord
Background Information: Historical calendars, Jackie Robinson.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Setting, in context, point of view, similes, synonyms, drawing conclusions, conflict, resolution.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Respect for elders, ambassadors for Christ, God is the one true God, friendship, our words, helping others, God values us, family, immigrants.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapwork, world religions, writing letters, Pledge of Allegiance, service project, education, crossword, heritage, art, journal, speech.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!
We truly enjoyed this book and the activity book has been wonderful. It has thought provoking questions and purposeful vocabulary activities. We lived having immediate access to the book!