Eagle of the Ninth, The - E-GuideProgeny Press
Carnegie Medal winning author, ALA Notable Children's Books, American Library Association Notable Children's Books, over a million copies sold worldwide.
In the early second-century A.D., Marcus, the Roman Cohort Commander of the Second Legion, along with his best friend and former slave, Esca, begins a quest deep into the northern highlands of Britain and Scotland.
Determined to recover the lost eagle standard of his father's lost Ninth Legion and redeem his family's honor, Marcus also seeks to discover his father's fate and that of the men who mysteriously disappeared under his command. Desperate battles are followed by heart-stopping pursuit as they flee with the recovered eagle standard. Travel with Marcus as he demonstrates the true meaning of freedom, friendship, and honor.
Through Rosemary Sutcliff's thrilling Roman novel, students will learn:
About the Author: Learn about Rosemary Sutcliff.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, hyperbole, foreshadowing, allusion, metaphor, synonym, antonym, simile, cliffhanger, ambiguity, mood, cause and effect, imagery, quest, symbol, compare and contrast, juxtaposition, anthropomorphism alliteration, consonance, assonance, motivation, characterization, plot structure, conflict, full-circle ending, theme, parallel character, motif, Chekhov's gun.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Worry, sacrifice, heroism, pride, self-worth, work, love our enemies, honor, hospitality, patience, perseverance, fear, future, failure, contentment.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Ancient Rome, geography, class discussions, interview, history, games, aesthetic distance, eulogy, letter to the editor.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!
I was very pleased with the quality of this study guide. I loved the integration of vocabulary, literature skills, questions about the story on different levels, and Biblical principles and character qualities. This is one of my all time favorite novels, and I was thrilled to see such a thoughtful, challenging, Christian resource. Well done; I'm enjoying using it in my classroom.