Robin, son of Sir John de Bureford, has been told his whole life that one day he, like his father, would learn the ways of knighthood. Yet one day, while his parents are away, Robin is struck by a illness that leaves him unable to use his legs. Left alone in plague-ridden London, Robin is taken to the monastery of St. Mark's by a kind monk named Brother Luke. Robin is saddened by the fact that, as a cripple, he cannot become a knight like his father.
"Thou has only to follow the wall far enough," Brother Luke tells Robin, "and there will be a door in it."
While recovering at the monastery, Robin discovers that door. He becomes skilled at woodcarving and swimming, and is taught to use his mind as well as his hands. When the great castle of Lindsay is attacked, Robin's determination and strength are tested. Robin finds that even with a disability, he can accomplish great things.
Progeny Press' Door in the Wall Language Arts PDF download curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Marguerite de Angeli.
Background Information: The Black Death.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, fact vs. opinion, similes, metaphors, title analysis.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Thankfulness, personal accomplishment, patience, suffering, trust in God, character transformation, coming of age.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Plague and disease, canonical timekeeping, English war, monasteries, disabilities.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts PDF download unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Primary grade Upper Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and continue building and refining their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study PDF download accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!