One spring morning, Fern Arable sees her father going out to the barn with an ax to do away with a runt piglet born the night before. Driven by what she sees as injustice, Fern runs to her father and he agrees not to kill the baby pig - as long as she raises it herself. When Wilbur turns five weeks old he is sold to Fern's uncle, Homer Zuckerman. Despite no longer being his caretaker, Fern visits him almost every day. In his new home Wilbur makes new acquaintances among the animals, and then he meets Charlotte, a spider who lives in the doorway over his pen. Charlotte's kindness and good nature win Wilbur over, and they become good friends, although he is alarmed by Charlotte's eating habits! Wilbur's new happiness is short-lived, however, when he learns that Mr. Zuckerman is planning to kill him at Christmastime and turn him into smoked bacon and ham. Charlotte, a clever spider with a big vocabulary and a bigger heart, hatches a clever plan that will save Wilbur's life.
Progeny Press' Charlotte's Web Language Arts PDF download curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student with:
About the Author and Illustrator: Learn about E.B. White and Garth Williams.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Descriptive writing, characterization, synonym, irony, fact vs. opinion, in context, foreshadow, mood, conflict, climax, resolution, theme.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Caring for animals, freedom, friendship, do not worry, fear, boasting, our words, encouragement, humility, sacrifice, helping others, death.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Spider science, field trip, writing, discussion, life cycles, letter-writing, art.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Charlotte's Web by E.B. White.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts PDF download unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Primary grade Upper Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and continue building and refining their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study PDF download accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!