Eleven-year-old Phillip lives with his parents on an island off the coast of Venezuela in 1942, but when the Nazi's begin torpedoing ships nearby, Phillip's mother insists that he and she return to the United States. Their ship is torpedoed by a Nazi submarine long before they reach the U.S., however, and Phillip finds himself marooned on an island with an old, but strong, black deckhand named Timothy. But when Phillip goes blind from an injury, he slowly realizes how caring, wise, and resourceful Timothy really is, and the color of their skins is unimportant.
Progeny Press The Cay Language Arts PDF curriculum provides your Middle School grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Theodore Taylor.
Background information: WWII, race relations.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: In context, dictionary, simile, point of view, characterization, paradox, juxtaposition, metaphor, dialect, fact vs. opinion, symbolism, foreshadow, anthropomorphism, figurative language, dramatic structure, coming-of-age, dynamic vs. static, Christ figure, theme, conflict.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Authority, fear, God looks at our heart, Good Samaritan, luck, work, talents, wisdom, comfort, humility, death, sacrifice, love, despair, racism.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Writing, mapping, timeline, art, biographies, discussions, debate, Coast Guard, blindness, science, first aid, hurricanes, poem, eulogy, Martin Luther King, Jr., speech, handicaps.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Cay by Theodore Taylor.
All of Progeny Press' language arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Middle School grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts Christian study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and refine their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!