Kino is a young Japanese boy who lives on a farm high on a mountainside. His best friend, Jiya, lives below in the fishing village at the seashore. Life is filled with hard work and fun moments with his friend. The lives of Kino and Jiya are changed forever when the unthinkable happens: a great tsunami wave crashes against their island and takes Jiya's entire family.
Jiya struggles with his loss, but with the help of his friend Kino his heart heals and he learns that life is stronger than death, we are brave because we must be, and there is much in this life that is wonderful.
Progeny Press' The Big Wave English/Language Arts curriculum provides your Elementary School Primary grade student with:
About the Author: Learn about Pearl S. Buck.
Background: Japan and tsunamis.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Synonym, setting, similes, personification, fact vs. opinion, compare and contrast, imagery, in context, repetition, turning point, foreshadow, theme, main character.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Fear and anxiety, grief, death, belief in God, enjoy our life, children of God, loneliness, God is with us during trouble.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, art, weaving, fish, science, field trip, natural disasters, missionaries, writing, wordsearch, emergency plans, first aid, speech, letter, gardening, fishing, cooking.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy for Elementary students
- Every question in our novel unit study has plenty of whitespace for primary school level student answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the Elementary school student’s work
- Complete, removable answer key included for the teacher to make grading simple!
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Upper Elementary grade student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into writing assignments and lessons that build and strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and establishes their critical analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved using Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools around the world for over 30 years!