Big Wave, The - E-GuideProgeny Press
The Child Study Association's Children's Book Award choice, written by the Pulitzer and Nobel prize winning author, Pearl S. Buck.
Kino is a young Japanese boy who lives on a farm high on a mountainside. His best friend, Jiya, lives below in the fishing village at the seashore. Life is filled with hard work and fun moments with his friend. The lives of Kino and Jiya are changed forever when the unthinkable happens: a great tsunami wave crashes against their island and takes Jiya's entire family.
Jiya struggles with his loss, but with the help of his friend Kino his heart heals and he learns that life is stronger than death, we are brave because we must be, and there is much in this life that is wonderful.
Through Pearl S. Buck's touching story, students will learn:
About the Author: Learn about Pearl S. Buck.
Background: Japan and tsunamis.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Synonym, setting, similes, personification, fact vs. opinion, compare and contrast, imagery, in context, repetition, turning point, foreshadow, theme, main character.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Fear and anxiety, grief, death, belief in God, enjoy our life, children of God, loneliness, God is with us during trouble.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mapping, art, weaving, fish, science, field trip, natural disasters, missionaries, writing, wordsearch, emergency plans, first aid, speech, letter, gardening, fishing, cooking.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include a wonderful reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian worldview!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!