Jonathan is sure there are no bears on Hemlock Mountain. When he is given the task of going over the mountain to his aunt's house to borrow a large pot for his mother, he reassures himself over and over: "There... are... no... bears... on... Hemlock... Mountain... no... bears... no... bears... at... all." Once at his aunt's house Jonathan dawdles, enjoying cookies and a nap. When he wakes up he realizes that it is very late, and now he must go back over Hemlock Mountain - in the dark! Despite his repeating over and over to himself that there are no bears, suddenly he meets some. Thinking quickly Jonathan puts the large iron pot upside down in the snow and hides under it. Jonathan learns a hair-raising lesson in being responsible for your own actions.
Progeny Press' Bears on Hemlock Mountain English/Language Arts curriculum will provide your Primary Elementary grade student(s) with:
Historical Background: Pennsylvania folktales.
Author Biography: Learn about Alice Dalgliesh, her background in the British West Indies, and her writing awards.
Vocabulary: Understand words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Phrases, repetition, foreshadowing, dictionary usage, imagery, similes, metaphors.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Hospitality, sharing, observation, fear, God is with us, dependability, truth, the Lord is our shepherd, consequences, sin, forgiveness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mountains, animal tracks, birdsong, hospitality bulletin board, make cookies, Mystery Word activity, creative writing adventure, cookbook, bears, drama/theater.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh.
All of Progeny Press' Language Arts unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of a Progeny Press ELA PDF study guide
Digital PDF Download
- PDF files are available to download with no shipping costs
- Contains the complete study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- PDf files open in the FREE Adobe Reader program.
Note: Mobile devices may require an alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields and interactive features.
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole ELA study guide at once
- Print single literature lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire curriculum study guide for classroom sets
- Upgraded, fillable form fields allow the student the opportunity to complete their work on the computer, saving you printing costs
- PDF format makes it easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key PDF file included for the teacher to make grading simple!
Formatted with your Primary grade Elementary student in mind, Progeny Press language arts study guides divide the book into simplified writing assignments and lessons that strengthen their reading comprehension, vocabulary, and begins building their analysis and writing skills. Each Progeny Press novel study accomplishes all of this without busy work that can drain the fun out of reading and literature! Kids have loved Progeny Press ELA curriculum in homeschool, co-ops, and private schools for over 30 years!