Bears on Hemlock Mountain, The - E-GuideProgeny Press
Newbery Honor Award 1953.
Jonathan is sure there are no bears on Hemlock Mountain. When he is given the task of going over the mountain to his aunt's house to borrow a large pot for his mother, he reassures himself over and over: "There... are... no... bears... on... Hemlock... Mountain... no... bears... no... bears... at... all." Once at his aunt's house Jonathan dawdles, enjoying cookies and a nap. When he wakes up he realizes that it is very late, and now he must go back over Hemlock Mountain - in the dark! Despite his repeating over and over to himself that there are no bears, suddenly he meets some. Thinking quickly Jonathan puts the large iron pot upside down in the snow and hides under it. Jonathan learns a hair-raising lesson in being responsible for your own actions.
Through Alice Dalgliesh's amusing account of a boy's harrowing trip over Hemlock Mountain, students will learn:
Historical Background: Pennsylvania folktales.
Author Biography: Learn about Alice Dalgliesh, her background in the British West Indies, and her writing awards.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: Phrases, repetition, foreshadowing, dictionary usage, imagery, similes, metaphors.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: Hospitality, sharing, observation, fear, God is with us, dependability, truth, the Lord is our shepherd, consequences, sin, forgiveness.
Activities and Writing Assignments: Mountains, animal tracks, birdsong, hospitality bulletin board, make cookies, Mystery Word activity, creative writing adventure, cookbook, bears, drama/theater.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
- Available instantly with no shipping costs!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Our Interactive Study Guide should be opened with the FREE Adobe Readerprogram. With the interactive feature, students have the capability of entering their answers directly on the computer and saving their work in progress.
Note: Mobile Devices/Tablets may require alternative app that supports and saves fillable form fields.
- Or choose to conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete separate answer key file included for the teacher!
- Free technical support if you encounter any difficulties using the digital guide!
We are finding this really good for reading comprehension. I think it would be good if some of the questions had more detail and/or examples given of what type of answer is expected.
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain teach family values, respect, and forgiveness while encouraging young students to think about the consequences of their actions. The meaty vocabulary and chapter by chapter questions challenge students in the areas of academic excellence and moral character.
I was pleasantly surprised with the ease in which we were able to implement this study guide. It was age appropriate and the book was an enjoyable one.
Excellent studies :)