Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available instantly!
This is the true story of Abbie Burgess and her family. In the winter of 1856, Abbie's father, the lighthouse keeper, must go for badly-needed supplies, medicine, and oil. As he leaves, he asks for Abbie's promise to keep the lights burning. She gives her word and watches him row away, not knowing that a storm will soon isolate the lighthouse for four weeks. She learns what a promise means as she tends the lights nightly, cares for her sick mother, her sister, and her chickens, and watches anxiously for the storm to end.
In 19 pages (plus an answer key), our study guide contains:
- Background on the authors and story
- Prereading suggested activities
- Vocabulary activities related to the story
- General content questions
- Literary analysis and terminology questions designed to give students a good understanding of writing technique and how to use it
- Critical analysis questions designed to help students consider and analyze the intellectual, moral, and spiritual issues in the story and weigh them with reference to scripture
- and, of course, a detailed answer key!