Heart of Darkness - Study Guide
Click here for a sample section of the guide!
Check out the E-Guide version, available immediately!
#158 on the Big Read List (UK’s top 200)
Through Joseph Conrad’s gripping novel, students will learn:
Historical Background: The history of Zaire and the Congo River Basin, commercial trade interests in the region in the 1800s, exploration, Leopold II and the subsequent exploitation of the area.
Before-You-Read Activities: Mini colonialism research paper, write an author biography, write about ships and transportation, mapping, comparison mini paper.
Vocabulary words used throughout the novel, utilizing a variety of activities to stimulate retention and growth.
Literary Techniques: foreshadowing, allusion, symbolism, death imagery, tone/mood, climax, theme, conflict, point of view, frame story, title analysis, pacing, repetition, lists, personification.
Moral Lessons and Character Values: darkness vs. light in scripture, heart and mind of man, evil, accountability to others, choosing wise companions, true belief, relying on God, consider what true faith is, lying, self-control,
Activities and Writing Assignments including character analysis, mapping journeys, compare/contrast ideas, time line story events, life lessons, passage analysis of tone, point of view change.
Suggestions for Further Reading: We include an in-depth reading list of more books by the same author(s) and other books that tie in with, or are similar to, Heart of Darkness. Movie suggestions included.
All of the unit lessons are written from a Christian perspective!
Features and Benefits of the study guide
Printed Workbook Format
- Large 8.5x11 format is convenient to read and easy on the eyes
- Every question has plenty of whitespace for student’s answers
- Encourages neat and clean handwriting practice
- Easily transports without the need for a laptop or other expensive equipment
- Provides a permanent record of the student’s work
- Convenient, removable answer key included for the teacher!
- Provides the study guide in universally compatible PDF format (works on Mac AND Windows)
- No costly software purchases necessary
- Opens in the FREE Adobe Reader program
- Conveniently print what you need, when you need it:
- Print the whole guide at once
- Print single lessons or pages as the student completes them
- Print multiple copies of the entire guide for classroom sets
- Easy to use with multiple students
- Complete answer key file included for the teacher!
Read the story summary and get the book HERE. NOTE: This title is recommended for mature readers!
Choose your format and buy it now: